15 delicious ways to use up blackberries!
This year we have a garden brimming with fruit! I must have picked at least 6 punnets blackberries from the brambles in our hedge. We have also been having an epic year for figs.
We have been eating the figs as they come, but the berries have been too much for us to handle! So I have been putting most of them straight in the freezer to deal with another day. I asked in my wonderful Reduce Your Food Waste Facebook group and on Twitter for ideas for what to do with them and I had some great suggestions! I have listed them below and included some ideas of my own too.
Here are 15 ways to enjoy blackberries:
Cooked blackberry recipe ideas:
- Crumble – especially good with apples too. Tip – I save apples that have been bashed about at the bottom of a bag when taken out as a snack but not eaten, to use up in crumbles.
- Banana and blackberry sponge pudding (use the search bar in the food waste group to find an amazing sounding recipe!).
- Bramley and blackberry tray bake
- Blackberry jam . Suggestions for variations on this included:
- Blackberry and apple jam
- Blackberry, raspberry and vanilla jam
- Apple and blackberry curd
- Blackberry syrup
What to do with frozen blackberries/ frozen blackberry recipe ideas:
- Sorbet – e.g. my raspberry avocado sorbet recipe (substitute the raspberries for blackberries). You’ll be surprised at the result and you can’t taste the avocado 🙂
- Banana blackberry (chocolate) ice cream. I love making this sugar free banana icecream recipe – just add blackberries to the mix!
How to use up raw blackberries!
- Gin infused with blackberries
- Blackberry and vanilla cordial
- Banana and blackberrry smoothie
- Blackberry Lassi
- Pickled blackberries
- Add them to your cereal, porridge or yoghurt!
On top of this I love eating them straight out of the freezer. They are great for a quick cold snack, soothing for a sore throat and make an attractive alternative to an ice-cube! They also make a nice fruity addition to a salad! For even more ideas for what to do with your blackberries, check out this post about blackberries from Katy Kicker!
I’m really looking forward to enjoying our blackberries in lots of different ways! I’m also excited about eating them months from now and remembering the lovely summer blackberry picking days!
Have you picked any blackberries recently? If you have, what are you going to do with yours? Come and tell me on Twitter or Instagram and share your pics too – I’m @ecothrifty. You can also come and join in the Reduce Your Food Waste group and share your ideas and makes there!