6 easy ways to reduce your heating bill!
6 ways to reduce your heating bill as temperatures plummet
There are lots of affordable ways to keep heat in and the cold out. Here’s some to try today
Note – This blog post contains affiliate links marked with * and anything you buy through them will help to support the blog as I will get a small commission. Thanks! All opinions are my own.
1.Switch energy suppliers – USwitch can help you compare prices and potentially reduce your heating bill. If you would prefer a renewable tariff you can compare against companies like Octopus Energy * on there too.
2. If you have a cold drafty chimney and a fireplace that isn’t being used block it with a chimney balloon*. They are reasonably priced and help to stop the heat escaping up your chimney. Make sure you take the chimney balloon out before lighting a fire though! Or you can make your own!
3. A lot of heat is lost through windows and adding some thermal curtains* can really make a difference!
4. Shutting doors is a simple thing to do and it helps to retain the heat in a warm room.
5. To keep even more heat in a room put a draught excluder* along the bottom of the door.
6. Getting cold at night time – time to change that duvet! A duvet with a thick tog rating* will make so much difference and will keep you snug all night long!
You don’t have to spend a fortune on heat saving products.
I have bought most of our curtains from charity shops. Making draught excluders and DIY chimney balloons could be a fun project . However, it is a good idea to also invest in quality products that last and save you money in the long run.
What do you do to keep your warm in winter and to keep the heating bills down?
UPDATE: Since I wrote this blog post I now have another on intelligent and remote heating controls which can potentially help save money on energy bills. Take a look!