10 sugar free alternatives to takeaways
- They come in a whole load of disposable packaging
- I have yet to find one that is sugar, refined carbohydrate and wheat free and which uses only sustainable fish/ free range meat / free range eggs.
- They cost money that could be put to better use given points 1 & 2
- Scrambled egg with stir fried courgettes or other veg (chopped into small cubes)
- Cracker sandwiches (I used rice cakes with fillings like cheese, peanut butter or houmous)
- Couscous (if avoiding wheat there are other types of couscous e.g. barley couscous). This can be flavoured once cooked in a variety of ways e.g. with soy sauce or oil and vinegar or butter or coconut oil. It can be served with stir fried or raw chopped veg, sprinkled with nuts and/ or seeds or you could add cheese, egg, houmous or tinned fish…
- Soup – make it in advance and freeze it in portions for when you need it (or cheat and use a tin or packet, but be aware it will probably contain sugar…)
- Learn how to make your favourite takeaway meals from scratch and make them at your leisure when you have some spare time.
- Once you are an expert, make the sections of the meal in advance and freeze them e.g. if Chinese or Indian takeway is what you are after:
- Have frozen brown rice, barley or other grains on standby in the freezer to make a quick basis for a meal (be careful when freezing rice as you can get food poisoning from rice – see the video clip below on how to do it. The clip does suggest defrosting overnight, but I tend to defrost it in a saucepan with a little water and make sure it is piping hot before I eat it).
- Make sauces in bulk and freeze them in portions ready for a quick defrost to go with your frozen grains.
- Freeze meat cooked as part of other meals in pieces e.g. roast chicken or slow cooked lamb to use in your homemade takeaway.
- Use a slow cooker and come home to a cooked meal (not one for me as I don’t have one, but I’d be interested to know if it works for you)!
- Put a baked potato on – it does take at least an hour to bake a potato in the oven, but you don’t have to do anything while it is in there.
- Most oven cooked foods that can be taken from the freezer and put straight in the oven are pretty low effort. If you want home cooked chips or roast potatoes you can make them and freeze them in advance to be used another time and you can also make things like fish finger or burgers and freeze them too.
If you have a moment I would really appreciate it if you would consider sponsoring My Year of Eco Challenges with an action on my DoNation page. Also if you liked this post please click like on Facebook and follow on Twitter – thanks so much!