- Sliced raw butternut squash – make discs and then cut in half. You need enough to cover the bottom of your pie dish
- Sliced raw beetroot (make discs – again will need to cover the bottom of your pie dish.
- 6 eggs (or more if your pie dish is large)
- Dollop of sour cream (you could substitute this for homemade yoghurt instead)
- Dollop of homemade salsa (see recipe here )
- Cubes of home made ricotta cheese (see recipe here)
- Salt and pepper
- Mixed herbs
- Small amount of chopped onion
- Toss beetroot and butternut slices in a little olive oil.
- Roast beetroot slices in the oven at 180degreesC on a naturally non-stick tray or sheet for 30 mins and butternut for 15 mins.
- Layer them in an ovenproof round dish – beetroot at the bottom and then the butternut on top.
- Mix up the eggs with the salsa and sour cream (or yogurt) and herbs and chopped onion
- Season eggs with salt and pepper
- Pour eggs over beetroot and squash slices, making sure they are entirely covered. Add more eggs if necessary.
- Arrange small dollops of salsa and cubes of homemade ricotta on the top
- Cook for 40 minutes and then serve hot or once completely cooled down keep in the fridge for a few days.
Not all beetroot is the same, some of the varieties don’t dye your hands red and are really very pretty when sliced up. Have a look around and see if you can get hold of some interesting varieties! Hope you enjoy this recipe! If you decide to make it at home, let me know how it turned out!