Looking for a fun Valentines gift to make?
Do you want to have a bit of fun this Valentines? These homemade Valentines gifts (and cards) are easy to make, look great and taste yummy! All you need is some chocolate, some piping bags, some toilet roll, pens, glue (or blue tack) and red card.
Note: this post has been updated in Feb 2021. It also contains affiliate links. won’t cost you anything extra to click through and buy, but it will help to support the blog. All opinions are my own.
White and milk chocolate heart, homemade Valentines gifts
100g milk or dark chocolate
100g white chocolate
Note if you want it to be vegan, look for vegan chocolate. Check that it will melt well first.
- You need to get out a non-stick tray or sheet to put the hearts on. When I made this I lined a tray with baking paper, but now I would use baking paper alternatives.
- Melt the milk and white chocolate in individual bowls in the microwave for 2 mins on high power. If you don’t have a microwave, melt the chocolate in a bowl in a saucepan of hot water. Make sure that the water from the saucepan doesn’t get into the bowl. I use a pyrex bowl in a steamer above the saucepan. I leave the lid off and stir the chocolate to help it melt quicker.
- Pour each type of chocolate into separate piping bags using narrow nozzles. Tip: if you don’t have any piping bags you can make your own using baking paper. But if you are going to use them regularly and are quitting baking paper, then it may be worth investing in some reusable piping bags.
- Pipe heart shapes of each colour on to the baking paper or a sillicone baking sheet (put whichever you use on a tray). Leave enough space to fill the shape with the other colour chocolate.
- Put the tray of heart shaped chocolates in the fridge for a couple of hours
- Scrape up all the dried chocolate out of the piping bags and put it in a jar to be used again. It makes great chocolate sprinkles!
Packaging the heart chocolates
Once my hearts were ready, I put them in little paper bags, which I then popped inside toilet roll tubes. If you don’t have any paper bags and want to be even thriftier, you can use the baking paper to wrap the chocolates up! Or if you would prefer to avoid waste altogether use a reusable wrap, or mini container inside the toilet roll tube
In my house we have toilet roll tubes in abundance because we save them for recycling. They are actually perfect for packaging little gifts.
How to make the pillow box toilet roll package;
To make the toilet roll package simply push the sides into the middle at each end, so that they overlap.
I then added some red hearts on the sides cut out from red card. Stick them on with glue or use blue tack. If you use blue tack, you can rescue it and reuse it afterwards.
Make a matching card!
You can make a matching card using some red card and another toilet roll. This time I cut the hearts out of the toilet roll and stuck them on to the red card. It was so quick to make and looks lovely!
I really enjoyed making these chocolate heart filled toilet roll packages. They are great homemade Valentines day gifts. They would be fun to make with kids and aren’t just for Valentines day – they would make lovely party favours too. Have you been getting crafty for Valentines?