I believe in self help. The person best positioned to help me get to where I want to be in life, is me! That doesn’t mean doing everything by myself. It means creating the circumstances which I need to be successful. At the moment my main focus is on helping myself finish my book. So I’m going to share with you, some of the steps I’m taking to set myself up for success. Most of these steps are very low cost or free, which is great!
1. As you know I’ve set a deadline and made it public:
I plan to publish my book by the end of March 2019! I think it is really important to have a deadline to aim for.
3. I’ve made some new friends!
I have started up a day time writing meetup. I couldn’t find any advertised anywhere so I posted in a local writers Facebook group and now I have some new friends – brilliant! We are going to meet up weekly to write together and to encourage and inspire each other. It will help me stick to my original book writing plan and to build on it. I know from my experience of running a half marathon, that consistent and regular action week in week out is what brings results. It also really helped me to have friends to take that consistent action with and I’m really looking forward to the journey ahead with my new writing buddies.
4. I am getting educated on the subject of writing and publishing
‘The Successful Author Mindset’ by Joanna Penn* is all about the mental and emotional challenges writers face throughout the writing journey and it was just what I needed to read! One of my favourite quotes from Joanna – ‘The creative journey is the point and there is no final end game’. I don’t just want to publish this book, I want to write and publish lots of books (I have more ideas than time to pursue them right now!) and so I might as well get comfortable and enjoy the ride! Joanna warns against using a writing group to critique each others work, so I’m going to take that tip on board at my new writing group.
I’ve also signed up to what looks like a fantastic and free course on Self publishing here: A to Z of Self Publishing
5. I am making feeling motivated easy!
To help me get in the right frame of mind day in, day out, I have put up loads of inspiring quotes above my desk. One I love is ‘If you want success, figure out the price and then pay it’ – Scott Adams (found in the book I mentioned above by Joanna Penn). It’s made me realise that as much as I love running, I’m going to have to take some time off from it if I want to make inroads into this book. So for the next two weeks, I am going to stay at home and be anti-social and focus on the book.
6. I’m measuring my progress.
When you start writing a book it is fairly simple to measure progress by word count. However once you get to the editing part word count isn’t helpful. So what I’ve decided to do is to allocate certain amounts of time on the various jobs left to do. That way I can put a limit on how much time I spend on each of them and I can measure my progress.
7. I’m getting help with the bits I’m not good at.
I’ve booked in to work on my cover design and book layout in a couple of weeks time with a cover/ layout designer. I do think this is worth spending money on and I feel it will add to my motivation once I can see the cover!
In conclusion, my 7 steps for setting myself up for success are:
- Set a clear goal with a deadline that you can’t get out of
- Set specific smaller goals and targets within your larger goal and target. Measure progress against them and celebrate meeting them!
- Take consistent and regular action towards meeting your goal.
- Make time for learning tips, tricks and techniques from people who have been there and done that!
- Make the journey easier and more fun by getting a supportive group around you with similar aims and goals
- Surround yourself with reminders and inspiration, so that you can’t forget about what you have decided to work towards! Also they can help keep you going during the tough bits!
- Recognise my strengths and weaknesses and get help when needed!
I am feeling really enthusiastic about getting my head down and working hard on the book. So I am going to skip a week of book update on the blog and will let you know in 2 weeks time how I am getting on. Until then!
Note: this blog post contains an affiliate link marked with * – any purchases you make through it will make me a very small amount of money and will help to support the blog. It won’t affect the price you pay in any way. Thanks!