- Swap clingfilm for using resusable containers with lids or covering bowls with plates – read more here, This is good for storing food in the fridge, the freezer and while out and about as lunch and snack boxes.
- Use reusable cleaning cloths – find out more here!
- Use cookware that is naturally non-stick and/ or has a lid instead of using foil and baking paper
- Take reusable containers to buy cheese and meat to avoid disposable packaging.
- Buy milk in reusable glass bottles (although upsettingly this article says Dairy Crest, a major supplier in the UK are planning to stop selling milk in glass bottles)
- Use reusable containers with lids use a reusable water bottle
- Take reusable bags with whenever going out the house.
- Swap disposable sanitary products for a menstrual cup (or reusable sanitary towels – this isn’t something I have tried though).
- Don’t use wetwipes – find 10 ways to avoid them here
- Find out about alternatives to toilet paper here (I could only hack it for a month – can you do better than me ?;)?)
- Use a body brush instead of single use exfoliators
- ‘Shop’ on sites likes Freecycle and Freegle.
- Host or attend clothes swap parties
- Reuse fabric to wrap up gifts for family members
- There are loads of ways to reuse glass jars e.g. as plant pots, vases and for all kinds of storage.
- Reuse envelopes as note paper and – I make a never ending fridge magnet notepad.
I will review my reusables that need replacing every so often and see if I can find some longer lasting reusables. I will also see if I am using any disposables still and try to work out alternatives.
I’m thinking of things like the reusable plastic containers I use to freeze food in – every so often they break and I have to chuck them (or take them to my parents for recycling as they don’t recycle them in my area). I have been meaning to find longer lasting plastic free alternatives for a while now, so this will be a good motivator to get going with it!
So what will you pledge for Zero Waste Week 2015? Go on – you know you want to join in 😉